Sunday, October 13, 2013

C4T Summary #2

Google Teacher Image

C4T Post #1

Karl Fisch is currently teaching Algebra. His blog post Air Travel: Google Apps Style gives us an inside look into his latest assignment for his knowledge thirsty students. He has asked his students to gather flight information outside of class to prepare for this assignment. Once they get to class with the information the students will graph their information and learn about sketching a line of best fit. He will also use a Smart Board to present to the students. He has used Google Spreadsheet to pinpoint relationships between flight cost, distance, and time.
This was my response to his post:

Hello Karl, I'm a student at the University of South Alabama. I am studying childhood education and currently taking EDM310 with Dr. Strange. He has so kindly assigned me to your blog this week! Although math is not my favorite I am intrigued by your assignment. I hope all goes well for you and your students! What grade do you teach? How do your students like using Google apps? I am interested to know how they react to this technology. Please feel free to check out my class blog!



C4T Post #2

I am Malala
In Karl Fisch's latest blog post he has embedded a few interesting videos about Malala. Malala is an advocate for Education from Pakistan. At 16 years old, she is the worlds youngest female to be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This clip from The Tonight Show explains how she stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban. She has recently published a book titled I Am Malala. She explains that her love for education comes from her education being taken away from her in Pakistan. When she was not allowed to go to school she realized how important education is. She talks about education being power for women and says this is why terrorists do not like it, because women will become more powerful. Since 2007, in her homeland terrorists have demolished schools and taken out families. She describes some of this action as "the darkest days" of her life. Malala spoke out publicly about education, gaining confidence from her family to speak up for rights. She believed she needed to speak to the public about the terrorism ruining her hometown. It wasn't long before Malala discovered by googling her own name that the Taliban were targeting her and threatening her. She believed they were not cruel although she mentally prepared for their arrival. She decided she would tell them how important education is to her and then tell them to "do whatever you want". Malala is an inspiration to many people and a true advocate for education at heart.
This was my response to his post:

Thank you very much for sharing this. Malala is an inspiration and gives a very powerful message to students and teachers alike. Do you know anyone who feels this way about education? Did you share this with your students?


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Haley,
    Good job on your blog so far! It looks spectacular, better than mine for sure. And I see you are also commenting on a math teacher for your C4T, the same as me :) It is really interesting what educators come up with to teach math, using technology and teaching strategies I would have never thought of. You wrote well on your first post, about flight plans and lines of best fit. Those lessons were so far back in the past for me, I can hardly remember how I was taught! But I do remember the content, and I am sure his students will. I see no obvious mistakes, although I would say you could explain more of the details of Mr. Fisch's idea, as I was confused on how flight plans led into graphing best fit lines.

    Your second post is equally good, it is clear and well thought out. I had heard of this person before, but had never seen an interview or researched her much honestly. It is good to see someone advocating what she is, freedom and could I say the pursuit of education. I'm quite surprised she did not win the Peace Prize ^^! The only suggestion I could make would be to write more! The response to the video could be nearly endless, ha. That is asking a bit much, but more opinions about why education is so important. We all want to feel happy, I know I do. I would fight for education to continue in my country and I support her doing so for her's.

    Good job Haley and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete