Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Post #4

Langwitches - Flat Stanley Podcast

I have to admit this podcast is extremely entertaining for me! The level of creativity has blown me away. I can remember in elementary school when everyone in my class was assigned a state. Our project was to design a poster board with facts and information about that state, for example the state bird. I'm not saying that project wasn't educational, but this podcast is genius. I love the way that the teacher has instructed these first graders to incorporate all the senses and sounds to portray the mood. This work is incredible for first graders and has led me to believe that podcasts are highly beneficial to the classroom for many reasons. It is clear the students have researched their locations before creating the podcast. Researching encourages reading and writing and brainstorming (turning on the brain!). Researching also encourages communication skills especially for a first grader. The student also has to practice communicating with the teacher to make the actual podcast. It is amazing to me that this class will forever have a souvenir of their hard work. They should be very proud.
Listening to this podcast motivates me to use this method in my classroom. Creating something to share with the world is a great way to get the children motivated also. I typically make changes to someone else's ideas if I decide to use them but I can not think of any changes I would make to this podcast. I am so impressed!



Langwitches - Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting

Flashcards out, podcasts in. This is another great example of how to use podcasts to teach. I find it fascinating that this teacher has encouraged these first grade students to create something so detailed. Reciting this Hebrew script would be a difficult task for most people. These students have mastered it! They have been taught how to listen, comprehend, and speak fluently. On top of learning these important skills they have experience using Garageband. My favorite part about this podcast is that the teachers recorded the script out of order. The students are required to engage in the process to put the recordings in their correct order. When I become a teacher I hope to use podcasts the same way. If I find a story I want my students to tell, what better way to do so?



Langwitches - Podcasting with First Grade

Reading this blog post feels like I am putting my foot in the door for success. First grade is such an important age for learning speaking and communication skills. Podcasts encourage these skills as well as identifying sounds. Shy students are able to open up and become a part of something fun and interactive. I think it is wonderful that these students had no issues waiting for their turn to record. I can not help but wonder if these students enjoy editing podcasts in first grade, what could they be capable of doing 20 years from now? Podcasts are encouraging higher thinking skills. The entire time these students are learning how to use technology effectively they are also learning about a story book.
After reading these posts about podcasts I have no doubt I would like to make one (or more) in my classroom. I realize there are endless possibilities when it comes to making something creative. Podcasts are a great way to engage students from anywhere.

3 comments:

  1. I really loved Flat Stanley too! The way the kids told the story was absolutely adorable! And eye-opening. You're right, these first graders are recording Podcasts! What will they accomplish as adults? The amazing thing is, by the time we are teachers, there may be something even better for us to use in the classroom. We can only imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such enthusiasm. I look forward to hearing your podcast!

    Thoughtful. Energetic. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete